A commercial client recently phoned Gerald A. Liloia to ask him about representing the firm in litigation because his firm needed "an iron fist in a velvet glove." The terminology provides an apt description of Jerry, who has developed a reputation as a tough lawyer who can aggressively argue cases, but who is equally skillful in negotiating them to a settlement if necessary. Jerry is a "focused" litigator and a "sound negotiator" who "understands business and is creative in his strategies," according to the Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers, which has ranked Jerry in its Client's Guide since 2004. Chambers describes him as "smart" and "practical," and he is credited with "first-rate communication skills" and “a remarkable litigation insight that is almost a sixth sense.” Sources also call Jerry a "sure-fire winner for clients thanks to his 'unfailing accessibility,'" and praise his ability to “take both the hard and soft approach as necessary.” Clients interviewed by Chambers also praise the "robust but fair approach he takes to litigation matters." Best Lawyers in America®, a peer review of U.S. lawyers, has included Jerry on its Best Lawyers list in the fields of Commercial Litigation, Banking Litigation and Real Estate Litigation since 2007. Thomson Reuters has included him on New Jersey's "Super Lawyers" list for Business Litigation since 2005. See Awards and Honors Methodology.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Jerry is typically on short lists for people and companies in need of a lawyer to handle the difficult case that must be won. But Jerry's reputation extends beyond his record of producing good results. He is also known for providing an unusual degree of personal service to clients instead of delegating matters to others.
Jerry has been with the firm for more than 35 years. His practice has included a wide variety of commercial litigation matters, with an emphasis on litigating cases for banks and other financial institutions. Over a six-year period beginning in 1989, Jerry represented the Resolution Trust Corporation and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation in complex litigation relating to the closing of the largest savings and loans in New Jersey, making new law in the process. Earlier, he represented money center and regional banks in the collection and restructuring of loans to private and public entities in Central America, Mexico and London. He was lead counsel in handling litigation for Wachovia Corporation, Bank of America and a variety of smaller New Jersey banks.
Jerry's practice includes an increasing number of securities cases, primarily representing large brokerage firms, such as UBS, in the defense of securities law claims. Jerry also heads our practice group which is well respected for its handling of fiduciary and directors and officers liability litigation, including claims for breach of fiduciary duty, negligence, self-dealing, securities violations and accounting irregularities. Most recently, Jerry has represented a state pension fund in a highly visible securities fraud action against a Fortune 100 company and other entities and represented a key party in one of the largest and most significant re-insurance arbitrations-litigation in recent years. Jerry is also very active in the area of real estate work-outs and restructurings and the defense of lender liability claims. He has represented many major New Jersey and money center banks in connection with distressed real estate and commercial loans.
When Jerry is not working on cases or directing the litigation department, he is managing the firm. He is clearly as proud of the firm's achievements as he is of his own. The key to success for both the firm and himself, he believes, is an emphasis on client relations. "People like working with us because we have a long-term view of our relationships with clients," he says. "We don't see any client as a one-case client."
Related Case Decisions
Related Firm News
- Best Lawyers Honors Thirty-Four Riker Danzig Attorneys
Aug 17, 2015
- Appellate Division Rules in Favor of Riker Danzig in Mortgage Case
Jun 25, 2015
- Chambers USA Honors 17 Riker Danzig Attorneys and 6 Practice Groups
May 21, 2015
- Best Lawyers Honors Forty-One Riker Danzig Attorneys
Aug 19, 2014
- Best Lawyers Honors Forty-Two Riker Danzig Attorneys
Aug 20, 2013
- Riker Danzig Partners with New York Red Bulls
Aug 16, 2013
- Chambers USA Gives Top Tier Honors to Riker Danzig
May 29, 2013
- Riker Danzig Hosts Red Bulls Soccer Clinic for Local Children
May 20, 2013
- Best Lawyers Honors Forty Riker Danzig Attorneys
Aug 20, 2012
- Riker Danzig Named #1 Firm in New Jersey by Best Lawyers
Sep 12, 2011
- 37 Riker Danzig Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers List
Mar 22, 2011
- Riker Danzig Named #1 Firm in New Jersey For Fourth Consecutive Year
Aug 18, 2010
- 36 Riker Danzig Attorneys Named to Super Lawyer List
Mar 30, 2010
- $5.6 Million Settlement in Securities Fraud Case Against Former Tyco Board Member
Nov 12, 2009
- Riker Danzig Ranked #1 law firm in New Jersey by the Best Lawyers in America
Aug 7, 2009
- Chambers USA recognizes 15 Riker Danzig attorneys
Aug 4, 2009
- Riker Danzig Expands Troubled Assets Recovery Group
Oct 31, 2008
- Riker Danzig Named Among New Jersey’s “Leading Lawyers”
Aug 18, 2008
- Tyco Settles with State of New Jersey for $73 million
May 1, 2008