Inbound U.S. Investments
As it has become easier to conduct business around the globe, we have seen a significant increase in the number of our clients based outside of the United States and the number of our matters with an international component. Just as for over 130 years U.S. clients have relied on Riker Danzig for their legal needs, in the last 25 years, clients from all over the globe have relied on Riker Danzig for their cross border transactions. We have found our experience as a full service firm for middle market clients to be a perfect match for our international clients. We deliver practical advice in a cost effective manner, are responsive, enjoy counseling and act as point persons for our client’s legal needs – all attributes which facilitate servicing our clients new to the U.S. or our U.S. clients investing elsewhere.
Specifically, our inbound U.S. investments group advises clients on:
- Organizing U.S. operations to comply with U.S. law
- Structuring U.S. operations to maximize tax efficiency
- Mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, investments, financing and similar transactions
- Employment arrangements to shield clients from liability and to incentivize employees
- Customer, vendor and other third party contractual relationships
- Protecting individual principals from personal liability due to their service as a director, officer or employee of an U.S. entity
- Corporate governance issues
- Corporate structure issues to attract and retain talented directors and senior officers
- Bank and other debt financing
- Venture capital, private equity, private placements and other equity financing
- Litigation in federal and state courts
- Arbitration and mediation
- Bankruptcy, liquidation and collecting debts
Representative Client Work:
- Represent a French high-performance materials manufacturer in acquisitions, corporate counseling, dispute resolution and other matters.
- Represent a U.K. contract research organization on U.S. acquisitions and day-to-day U.S. legal issues.
- Represent a European based holding company on board of director and creditor issues relating to the liquidation of its Mexican maquiladoro and U.S. operations.
- Represent a Japanese pharmaceutical company in negotiating a US $500,000,000 contract with a U.S. contract research organization to manage clinical drug trials globally for a new compound.
- Represent European specialty materials company in its stock purchase of a precision graphite machining company.
- Represent shareholders of an international software company in a stock sale to a U.K. based technology company.
- Represent U.S. operations of a European car manufacturer in day-to-day corporate matters.
- Represent a Korean processed foods manufacturer in acquiring U.S. processed food manufacturers.
- Represent a Netherlands entity in selling a U.S. subsidiary with significant environmental challenges.