Change of Circumstance, Alimony, Child Support, and the Impact of Additional Non-Marital Children

In the unpublished decision by the New Jersey Appellate Court, Karkoszka v. Karkoszka, the appellate court issued a decision after reviewing a trial court’s denial of a post-divorce (i.e., post-judgment) motion to change alimony and child support based on the birth of a non-marital child.  The case was not one of first impression, but did reiterate the standard for a modification of alimony and child support when a non-marital child is born to the alimony and child support paying spouse. 

Welcome to Riker Danzig’s Family Law Blog!

Welcome! We want to sincerely thank you for viewing Riker Danzig’s Family Law Blog.   Our hope with this blog is to provide updates and valuable information to individuals seeking facts about the ever changing area of family law in New Jersey. 

LGBT: Marriage Yes; Fertility Treatment - Not in New Jersey

In what may be considered more of a constitutional or even insurance law issue, rather than a family law issue, two lesbian couples have filed a federal civil rights suit challenging the constitutionality of the New Jersey law that requires insurance companies to offer fertility treatment to heterosexual women, but not to those in same-sex relationships.

Grandparent Visitation Rights – A Complicated Issue For Courts

Grandparent visitation rights is a complicated issue for the courts.  On the one hand, you have the rights of the parents to determine how they raise their child – including to determine to whom the child is exposed.  On the other hand, you have the grandparents, who desire to have a relationship with their grandchild.

Ambiguous Property Settlement Agreement – It’s a “Mess”

New Jersey courts embrace the resolution of marital controversies through a Property Settlement Agreement (“PSA”), which are voluntarily entered into and promote post-divorce stability. Konzelman v. Konzelman, 158 N.J. 185, 193-94 (1999). A PSA sets forth the terms of the negotiated settlement agreement between divorcing spouses..

Can I Reduce My Alimony Obligation?

In order to achieve a reduction of an alimony obligation, a payor must demonstrate that there has been a “changed circumstance.”  If there truly has been a “changed circumstance”, then, sometimes, a modification may be accomplished through negotiations with the former spouse.