Frank Vitolo is a partner with Riker Danzig and a member of the firm’s Real Estate, Commercial Litigation and Government Affairs groups. He has practiced law in New Jersey and New York for over twenty years. Before returning to New Jersey in 2003, where he was born and raised, Frank practiced law at a prominent Washington, D.C. law firm.
Focus and Experience
Frank is a recognized leader in planning, zoning and development law. He served as lead development counsel for many of the region’s major real estate projects, including the planning and redevelopment of M-Station Morristown – Deloitte’s new headquarters in New Jersey.
Frank has also obtained favorable outcomes for clients involved in complex partnership and real estate disputes, and won dismissal of products liability and consumer fraud actions in federal and State courts.
Land Use Matters
- Obtained redevelopment and site plan approvals for SJP Properties to construct M-Station in downtown Morristown. Deloitte is the anchor tenant in this 275,000 sq ft mixed-use office complex that includes a new traffic roundabout, on-site parking and pedestrian amenities. In 2020, the M-Station project was awarded “Office Deal of the Year” by NAIOP New Jersey.
- Obtained redevelopment approvals and long-term tax abatement (a/k/a PILOT) for Restoration Hardware to restore the historic Alnwick Hall in Morris Township, and construct a new RH furniture gallery, restaurant and wine bar.
- Obtained redevelopment and site plan approvals for the Hampshire Companies to construct in Morristown an 85-unit “Live-Work” apartment building that will incorporate movable walls which will allow apartment owners to transform their work spaces into residences and vice versa.
- Obtained approvals for other multi-family and commercial projects in Morristown, Morris Township, Hoboken, Rockaway and Jersey City.
- Lead trial counsel for aircraft engine manufacturer Continental Motors in defense of a suit alleging breach of contract/warranty and defective manufacture. Following a two-week trial, the jury returned a defense verdict in CMI’s favor (zero Plaintiffs’ recovery). Frank was also successful in defeating each of Plaintiffs’ appeals.
- Lead counsel on behalf of software-as-a-service provider in multi-million dollar AAA Arbitration proceeding in which client alleged breach of contract and fraud.
- Lead counsel in prerogative writ action on behalf of developer that resulted in “whispering woods” settlement entitling client to construct apartment project over existing retail center.
- Outside counsel for well-known New York software developer in contract litigations and intellectual property matters.
- ROI-NJ, Real Estate Influencers (2020)
- NAIOP, Office Deal of the Year, M-Station, Land Use Counsel (2020)
- New Jersey Law Journal, Vanguard in the Law (2018)
- Morris County Chamber of Commerce, Exemplary Private Sector Leader Non-Profit Excellence Award (2015)
- New Jersey Super Lawyers, Rising Star (multiple years)
- Morris Arts, President of the Board of Trustees (2012–Present)
- Morristown Partnership, Chairman of the Board of Trustees (2013-2019)
- Spring Street CDC (a/k/a the Table of Hope), Vice Chairman of the Board of Trustees (2014-2019)
- Morristown Beautiful, Board Member (2016-2018)
- Morristown Housing Authority, Commissioner (2012-2016)
- Candidate for Morristown Town Council (2009)