Riker Goes Green
Energy conservation. Precious resources. Water quality. Air pollution. Not a typical agenda item list for a day at a New Jersey law firm, but every workday each of us makes countless decisions that relate to these issues. Many of these choices are small - whether to print that email or simply read and save it. Others are more substantial, such as whether to install energy-efficient lighting for the building. In every case, though, our daily activities make an environmental impact - for better or worse.
With this in mind, in 2008, Riker Danzig introduced Riker Goes Green which implemented a variety of environmentally responsible initiatives in an effort to make a positive impact on the environment. We also introduced measures and practices to encourage the success of these initiatives firm-wide. By working together, we hope to demonstrate that legal minds care about the environment.
On April 19, 2017 a group of 18 Riker Danzig volunteers, led by A.J. Borrelli, teamed up with Grow it Green Morristown for a volunteer event in recognition of Earth Day. Riker Danzig employees were given the afternoon off to assist with weeding, clearing garden beds and other preparations for the 2017 growing season and school trips to Grow It Green’s Urban Farm. The Urban Farm is New Jersey’s largest public school garden and is managed by a small staff, part-time interns, and community volunteers.
Environmentally Responsible Business Practices
Riker Danzig has implemented a number of environmentally responsible business practices, including:
- Purchasing post-consumer recycled paper
- Purchasing recycled printer toner cartridges
- Using environmentally friendly cleaning supplies
- Converting to energy efficient light bulbs
- Purchasing Energy Star compliant electronics and appliances
- Server consolidation
- Utilizing computer equipment and printers which hibernate for energy savings
- LCD monitors replacing CRT
- Advising employees to shut down computers and other office equipment at night
- Turning lights off in unused spaces
- Recycling electronics
- Recycling toner cartridges
- Recycling and reducing paper usage by converting all printers to duplex printing
- Recycling aluminum cans and plastics
- Providing employees with reusable drinking cups
Sustainable Business Practices
- Reducing the use of paper by effectively utilizing:
- Electronic distribution of most firm-wide memos and faxes
- Electronic distribution of holiday cards, Partner announcements and marketing communications
- Integrated scanning, copying and faxing into each department
- Electronic distribution of a “Tip of the Week” encouraging employees to personally incorporate sustainable measures in their lifestyle - both at work and at home.
Looking to the Future
Over the coming year, Riker Danzig will expand upon our current green initiatives by continuing to form relationships with sustainable companies and educate our employees about the personal and professional benefits of going green. We will also continue to counsel our clients with respect to environmental challenges relating to energy, environmental, intellectual property, real estate, tax and regulatory issues.