Following two decades of distinguished service as an Associate Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court, Stewart G. Pollock joined Riker Danzig as Of Counsel.
Mr. Pollock served from 1958 to 1960 as an Assistant United States Attorney. Leaving federal service, he joined a law firm, rising to partner. In 1974, he became a Commissioner of the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities. He also later served as a member of the New Jersey State Commission of Investigation.
After returning to private practice, Mr. Pollock served from 1978 through 1979 as Chief Counsel to Governor Brendan T. Byrne. In 1979, Governor Byrne nominated Mr. Pollock to the Supreme Court for an initial seven-year term. He gained tenure on the high court following reappointment by Governor Thomas H. Kean.
Mr. Pollock is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Law Center Foundation at New York University School of Law. He chaired both the New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Professional Rules of Responsibility and the Supreme Court’s Commission on the Rules of Professional Conduct, and served as a member of the Advisory Committee for the Restatement of Law Governing Lawyers of the American Law Institute. During 1991-1992, he was Chairman of the Appellate Judges’ Conference of the American Bar Association.
Mr. Pollock has served as a Federal Court Mediator, a CPR Neutral for the CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution, and a commercial arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association. He is a Fellow of the American College of Commercial Arbitrators. Mr. Pollock has served as an arbitrator or mediator in numerous matters involving a wide variety of tort or commercial claims, including claims concerning shareholder agreements, royalty agreements, franchises, and the sale of various products such as telecommunications or medical products. He has also heard civil rights claims and claims arising under employment, environmental, and insurance law.
In addition to many written opinions for the court, Mr. Pollock is the author of numerous published articles on health care, public utilities, products liability and constitutional law. He has taught or lectured at several law schools.
Thomson Reuters has included Mr. Pollock on the New Jersey "Super Lawyer" list for Alternative Dispute Resolution since 2005. Best Lawyers in America®, a peer review of U.S. lawyers, has included Mr. Pollock on its "Best Lawyers" list in the fields of Arbitration, Energy Law and Mediation since 2005. Mr. Pollock has been named 2017 Energy Law “Lawyer of the Year” for the Newark region by Best Lawyers, an honor given annually to a single Arbitration law attorney in the Newark region. He was named 2016 "Lawyer of the Year" for Arbitration in the Newark region. See Awards and Honors Methodology.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Related Firm News
- Stewart Pollock Named by Best Lawyers as “Lawyer of the Year” for 2017
Aug 15, 2016
- Best Lawyers Honors Thirty-Two Riker Danzig Attorneys
Aug 15, 2016
- The Hon. Victor Ashrafi Joins Riker Danzig
Dec 10, 2015
- Six Riker Danzig Attorneys Named by Best Lawyers as “Lawyers of the Year” for 2016
Aug 17, 2015
- Best Lawyers Honors Thirty-Four Riker Danzig Attorneys
Aug 17, 2015
- Best Lawyers Honors Forty-One Riker Danzig Attorneys
Aug 19, 2014
- Riker Danzig Attorney Quoted Re NJ Judges Retirement Debate
Jun 10, 2014
- Best Lawyers Honors Forty-Two Riker Danzig Attorneys
Aug 20, 2013
- Best Lawyers Honors Forty Riker Danzig Attorneys
Aug 20, 2012
- Riker Danzig Named #1 Firm in New Jersey by Best Lawyers
Sep 12, 2011
- 37 Riker Danzig Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers List
Mar 22, 2011
- Justice Stewart Pollock Named the Newark-area Best Lawyers “Energy Lawyer of the Year”
Dec 16, 2010
- Riker Danzig Named #1 Firm in New Jersey For Fourth Consecutive Year
Aug 18, 2010
- 36 Riker Danzig Attorneys Named to Super Lawyer List
Mar 30, 2010
- Riker Danzig Ranked #1 law firm in New Jersey by the Best Lawyers in America
Aug 7, 2009